Chips and wedges
The best homemade wedges and chips are made from floury textured potatoes – these potatoes will be labelled as baking or roasting*.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Scrub potatoes, but preferably do not peel.
- Cut each potato into about 8 wedges.
- If making chips, cut potatoes into chip shapes.
- Place 1-2 tsp oil in a bowl. Add potato pieces and toss to coat.
- Alternatively, spray with oil so the potatoes are lightly coated.
- Place on a non-stick oven tray.
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy.
- Turn at least once during cooking.
- The chunkier the chip or wedge, the healthier they will be because there will be less surface area to absorb oil.
- Leave the skin on to retain nutrients, especially fibre.
*For more information on end use of potatoes, view the poster, Potato varieties and how they cook.